WHAT IS BABY ACNE?
Baby acne, also known as neonatal acne is very common, it can be present at birth but will show up after a couple of weeks.
Baby acne is usually a temporary skin condition that develops on the baby’s face or body and will result in tiny red or white bumps or pimples. Open comedones or blackheads don’t usually appear in baby acne.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://www.mb103.com/lnk.asp?o=13481&c=918271&a=221027&l=14091′ target=’_self’ size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]CLAIM YOUR BABY BUNDLE HERE[/thrive_link]
WHAT DOES BABY ACNE LOOL LIKE?
Baby acne is usually characterized by small red or white bumps on baby’s cheeks, nose and forehead. Most parents often mix up baby acne and Baby heat rash as they seem to share some characteristics and symptoms in babies.
WHAT CAUSES BABY ACNE?
Baby Acne Causes in newly borns still remains a mystery and the scientific community hasn’t come to a clear consensus on what causes baby acne but here are some of the causes of baby acne:
- Maternal Hormones: The mother’s hormones are likely the cause of baby acne because at the end if the pregnancy a mother’s hormones can cross the placenta into the baby’s system and can stimulate baby’s sebaceous glands on the skin leading to breakouts. However, infants over 3 months’ own hormones can drive an overgrowth of skin glands leading to acne.
- Yeast can cause baby acne: The Malassezia species a common type of yeast that colonies the skin surface can create an inflammatory reaction in a newborn resulting in baby acne.
- Imbalanced gut flora: opportunistic gut flora may aggravate acne, babies start developing their own gut flora in utero, influenced by mom’s gut health. However, there’s a bevy of conditions that can occur from imbalanced gut flora, including inflammation, irritations, and acne.
BABY ACNE PROPER HYGIENE
As we all know, the baby’s skin is very sensitive that’s why it is very important to be gentle and very hygiene when dealing with baby acne.
The following are ways to treat baby acne properly:
(1) DON’T SCRUB, POP OR PICK THOSE TINY PIMPLES
This can irritate and break the baby’s skin making a way for bacteria to enter the baby’s skin and increasing risks of more infant infection.
When washing your baby’s face do so by patting it or willing it down gently, use soft sponge or Terry wish cloth to wipe your baby’s skin.
(2) WASH AND MOISTURIZE THE BABY’S FACE
Yes, always keep the baby’s face clean and moisturized. Use a mild gentle soap and a fragrance free hypoallergenic moisturizer to keep the baby’s skin healthy and supp.
(3) USE A HUMIDIFIER
Using a humidifier can ensure that the baby’s skin stays moisturized sincr baby acne maybe exacerbated by dry air.
(4) DO NOT USE OILY LOTIONS
Avoid applying lotions on the baby’s face, especially over acne covered patches, sincr lotions can aggravate the problem.
Even though the patch of acne may seem dry, still it is somehow caused by over active oil glands, meaning that adding further oil will only make the acne worse.
(5) CONSULT A DOCTOR
The doctor can prescribe medications like Retin-A or something with benzoyl peroxide in an infant friendly dose.
Mummies and daddies, don’t worry too much, just be patient, a break out of baby acne usually disappears within few weeks to several months without special treatment.
Yes, the skin condition may look awful but it does cause your baby any pain or discomfort.