- 1 Top High Impact Home Improvement Tips
- 2 Here are the Top 50 weekend home improvement projects
- 2.1 Cheap home improvement ideas on a budget
- 2.2 Products from Amazon.com
- 2.3 Home improvement tips for home decoration
- 2.4 Home improvement tips for storage
- 2.5 Products from Amazon.com
- 2.6 Home improvement tips for cleaning
- 2.7 Products from Amazon.com
- 2.8 Home improvement tips for gardening
- 2.9 Products from Amazon.com
Top High Impact Home Improvement Tips
The recession, and more importantly the concurrent slump in property prices, forced many people to look at ways of adding value to their homes.
In particular, owners of buy-to-let properties, worried by the dwindling bottom line of their investment, hoped to recoup some of the cash.
Although prices have recovered somewhat over the past year, many remain keen to maximize the potential of their property, should they decide to sell in future. With this in mind, we take a look at some home improvement tips you can use to add value to your home or property – from internal oak doors to a lick of paint!
Replacing old or cheap doors with something quality is a sure fire way to brighten up any house. After all, the first thing any buyer will see is your front door, so swapping the UPVC white plastic unit for a solid oak door is bound to leave a good impression.
This is one case where it isn’t always necessary to purchase brand new –sometimes aged pine, teak or oak doors can be an even more effective way of brightening up your home.
The benefits here are two-fold. Old single glazed windows are often hugely energy inefficient. This makes them an ideal candidate for home improvement, as the initial cost can be recouped in lower energy bills over the years.
In addition, aesthetically, quality sash windows or other wooden frames really do look the part. If you can discover wooden frames that match your oak doors, the effect is intensified further. Matching décor throughout a house makes it a much more attractive prospect, which leads us neatly onto…
Decorating for continuity
If you’ve got chrome door handles and white light switches in the same room, it could be time for a change. Attention to detail here is important – does the paint match the carpet, windows, and doors?
If you’ve chosen a deep or dark colour in a room with internal oak doors, then it may look a tad dingy. Ensure that all elements of your house not only match but also compliment each other.
Changing fittings and fixtures
Covered above, but worthy of its own section simply because it can be so important. Budget fittings stick out a mile off, and they’re relatively inexpensive to replace. If you’ve gone to the effort of moving furniture around, fitting sash windows and a big oak door as an entrance, now isn’t the time to scrimp and save.
It isn’t always clear what the best way to use a room is when you first move into a house. It could also be the case that your circumstances may have changed since you originally purchased a property – the kids have moved out; you’ve taken a new job etc.
Changing the function of a room can be a great way to attract buyers – a bedroom into an office or vice versa for example. Utilizing space as efficiently as possible can contribute significantly to a properties value, and best of all it’s free to implement.
Want more DIY projects for home improvements?
Here are the Top 50 weekend home improvement projects
Cheap home improvement ideas on a budget
- Use whitening pen to whiten tiles around the house to keep it looking new and clean.
- Prevent door handles hitting and scratching off the wall paint and creating dents by installing a doorstop.
- Lighting up the kitchen in style by adding a led push light right under shady areas or kitchen cupboard.
- The foot mat in front of doors should be replaced if already looking old.
- Use foam weather strips to fill up gaps on windows and doors.
- Use lubricants like WD40 on doors and hinges which makes squicky noises.
- Add felt pads under the furniture feet to prevent scrapping laminated or wooden floors.
- Use shoe polish to polish leather sofas so they look clean and new.
- Use very strong adhesive to mend broken thing in the house.
- Use all-purpose fillers to fill breaks and cracks on walls and wood.
- Use spray paints to re-touch and re-shine any metal, bricks and wooden surfaces.
- Make the house look neat and tidy by hanging hand towels and kitchen towel using self-adhesive hooks.
- Remember to replace bath plug if its rusty and broken sinks.
- Keep cables out of the way and looking tidy by using cable clips.
- Replace the washers of any dripping taps around the house.
- Do not leave bad paintwork and marks uncovered, use pain tester pot to cover it up.
Products from Amazon.com
Home improvement tips for home decoration
- Replace flowers in an empty vase.
- Replace frames of an old picture on the wall or make new frames for favourite photos.
- Use scented candles to give fragrance to the house to keep the smell fresh.
- Use key hooks to hang keys, use decorative ones.
- Change worn-out light shades.
- Use wall stickers to decorate the house and furniture.
Home improvement tips for storage
- Store away blankets or out of season clothes using storage bags or vacuum storage bags.
- Use file holders to store or organize school works and office documents.
- Use hampers to keep laundry tidy and organized.
- Use dish racks to keep dishes tidy and keep the kitchen clean.
- Use boxes or storage boxes to keep all the bits and pieces away.
- Use door hooks to hang jackets.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $72.36Was: $179.99
Price: $112.52Was: $189.99
Price: $8.86Was: $15.99
Home improvement tips for cleaning
- Clean any marks as stains with a sponge as soon as they appear.
- Keep light bulbs and fittings very clean at all times to increase brightness.
- In case of mould, use mould remover to wipe off mould stains.
- Use shampoo or carpet cleaner to clean carpets and keep it looking fresh and clean.
- Use glass cleaning spray to clean mirrors and replace broken or cracked glasses.
- Use washing machine cleaner to clean the washing machine and keep it clean.
- Use drain unblocker to keep all drains clean and clear bot indoor and outdoor drains.
- Use dishwasher cleaner to keep the dishwasher clean, clean dishwasher improves performance.
- Use oven and grill spray to clean the oven from greases and other substances.
- Use pet hair hoovers or rubber squeegee to remove pet hair if you have a pet.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $2.97Was: $4.08
Home improvement tips for gardening
- Use plant seeds to grow plants in the garden, flower plants add beauty to the garden.
- Invite birds to your garden by hanging a bed feed, makes the garden filled with nature.
- Keep tidy lawn by using lawn weed killer to eliminate weeds.
- Brighten your garden with fancy solar lights.
- Make use of hanging basket for your plants.
- To create some nice chilling sounds, use bamboo chimes.
- Use flower weeds to maintain a healthy tidy garden and flowers.
- Use edging to separate lawn and flower beds.
- Fill up any bare patches on the lawn with more seeds.
- Use plant clips to maintain the plant growth.
- Use none dangerous pesticides to rid your garden of pests.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $37.30Was: $39.99
Price: $9.07Was: $10.97
Price: $72.09Was: $79.99
Price: Out of stock