Bitter leaf is mostly found in West Africa and is a green leaf vegetable. A bitter leaf can actually grow anywhere and has huge health benefits. The botanical name for a bitter leaf is Vernonia Amygdalina. Recently, there is a growing demand for bitter leaf because of the health benefit of bitter leaf juice.
The name bitter leaf is associated with the bitter taste of the leaf and has no additives. It can grow up to 20cm (7.9 in) long. It is used to cook the popular bitter leaf soup and when used to cook soup the bitter taste is washed out complete leaving a sweet tender taste.
Type 2 and type 1 diabetes has no cure as of yet, but in Africa, researchers have identified bitter leaf, Egusi (melon), guava will reduce blood sugar levels and also improve the function of the insulin and protect the body. Bitter leaf juice can protect the body from complications of diabetes such as heart attacks and kidney failure.
Bitter leaf tea can be extracted from the bitter leaf, and usually used when it is still fresh or dried. Using dried bitter leaf for your tea is usually done when you can not find the fresh one.
You will need fresh or dried bitter leaf to do this.
Wash the bitter with fresh water to remove impurities.
Also depending on the about of bitter leaf you have, having a cup full of bitter or a handful, you will need 2 cups of water.
Cook the bitter leaf in a pot for about 30 mins.
When cooked, use a sieve to extract the tea from the cooked bitter leaf.
Get Sieve from Amazon Below
Let it cool and drink it.
We don’t advise adding any sweetener before drinking, but you can add some organic honey.
The health benefit of bitter leaf juice is large, and here we will be naming a few.
1. Bitter leaf can be used to reduce fever: Bitter contains antiseptic which is an effective remedy for reducing the heat in the body which is common during fever. Also the presence of andrographolide lactones, diterpene, glucosides, and flavonoids in bitter leaf which helps to reduce fever in the body.
2. Bitter leaf help prevent cancer: This miracle leaf can treat hydatidiform mole, lung tumor, trophoblastic, these are known cancer symptoms. Research also states that bitter leaf can eliminate gastric cancer cells and inhibit the growth of tumor, and also, can inhibit the growth cells associated with breast cancer.
3. Bitter leaf lowers hypertension
4. Bitter leaf is an effective remedy for typhus disease
5. Bitter leaf helps to overcome itching
6. Bitter leaf helps in the treating malaria
7. Bitter leaf is an important source in increasing endurance
8. Bitter leaf is vital in the treatment for appendicitis
9. Bitter leaf is used in treating diabetes
10. Bitter leaf is used in overcoming gallstones
11. Bitter leaf is used in treating diarrhea
12. Bitter leaf is used to treat bacillary dysentery
13. Bitter leaf is help in treating tuberculosis
14. Bitter leaf is used in treating typhoid
15. Bitter leaf is used to treat kidney disease
16. Bitter leaf is used in treating respiratory tract infections
17. Bitter leaf is in treating ear infection
18. Bitter leaf is used to treat a toothache
19. Bitter leaf is used to treat leptospirosis
20. Bitter leaf is to treat inflammation in the mouth
21. Bitter leaf is used to treat a headache
22. Bitter leaf is used to treat influenza
23. Bitter leaf is used to improve and maintain a healthy skin
24. Bitter leaf is used to eliminate acne
25. Bitter leaf is used to treat scabs
26. Bitter leaf is used to treat poisonous insect bites
27. Bitter leaf is used to treat menopause symptoms
There are no side effects of using bitter leaf when pregnant because it helps with conception. But you should speak to your doctor first before use if you are pregnant.
First, once you have your bitter leaf, wash it water to remove specks of dirt which usually sticks on the leaf.
You will need a Home Round Plastic Wash Basin.
Put all the bitter leaf in the basin, add alot of water then wash with your hands.
Strain the water from the bitter leaf and get rid of the water.
Put the bitter into the basin, this time add a very small amount of water like 1/3 of a cup.
Then start to mash the bitter leaf very hard with your palms. You can do this by trying to grind the leaf with bare hands, this will squeeze out the juice from the bitter leaf.
Do this till the whole leaf breaks in pieces and you begin to see bubbles of foams coming out.
Use a sieve to drain the juice.
Now the juice is ready to consume. Bitter leaf is very bitter, if you are finding it hard taking in such bitterness, you can add some juice like apple juice, orange juice or juice of choice.
Take the juice at least twice a day and you should see results in days.