Is It Safe To Take Selenium While Pregnant?
Selenium is a trace mineral needed by the body in small amounts.
Now the question is, is it safe to take selenium while pregnant? The answer is yes, definitely. In fact, pregnant women have a higher need for selenium compared to anyone else.
The recommended dietary allowance of selenium for pregnant women is 60 mcg per day while for non-pregnant women it’s 55 mcg per day.
- Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine 1500mg. Highest Potency Available. Premium Pain Relief & Joint Support with 95% Standardized Curcuminoids. Non-GMO, Gluten Free Turmeric Capsules with Black Pepper
- Extra Strength Brain Supplement for Focus, Energy, Memory & Clarity – Mental Performance Nootropic – Physician Formulated Brain Booster with Super Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, & More
- Evening Primrose Oil 1300mg 120 Liquid Softgels, Cold-Pressed with No fillers or Artificial Ingredients; Non-GMO & Gluten Free, Made in the USA
- Premium Horny Goat Weed Extract with Maca & Tribulus, Natural Energy Complex for Men & Women, 1000mg Epimedium with Icariins, Veggie Capsules
- Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine Joint Pain Relief – Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant Supplement with 10mg of Black Pepper for Better Absorption. Best 100% All Natural Non-Gmo Made in USA
- Sambucus Elderberry Gummies Herbal Supplements, 60 Count
- NatureWise Curcumin Turmeric 1650mg with 95% Curcuminoids & BioPerine Black Pepper Extract, Advanced Absorption, Cardiovascular & Healthy Joints Support, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, 180 Vegetarian Capsules
- Qunol Ultra 100mg CoQ10, 3x Better Absorption, Patented Water and Fat Soluble Natural Supplement Form of Coenzyme Q10, Antioxidant for Heart Health, 120 Count Softgels
- Nature Made Turmeric Antioxidant Herbal Supplement 500 Mg, 60 Capsules
- Green Tea Extract Supplement with EGCG for Weight Loss – Boost Metabolism & Promote a Healthy Heart – Natural Caffeine Source for Gentle Energy – Antioxidant & Free Radical Scavenger – 120 Capsules
Pregnant women living in the United States usually get enough selenium through dietary means and for most pregnant women there’s no need to take additional selenium.
However, people in other parts of the world are likely to have selenium deficiencies due to low soil levels and therefore leading to low food levels of selenium.
Scientists discovered that low levels of selenium in pregnant women may lead to miscarriages. However, an overdose of selenium can cause serious side effects. Although some of the side effects are not serious, they can be a sign of selenium toxicity.
Toxicity can occur at doses higher than 400 mcg of selenium per day. There are death reports due to selenium toxicity.
The side effects of selenium overdose include:
- Weight loss
- A metallic taste in the mouth
- Garlic breath odor
- Nausea, vomiting and stomach pain
Selenium has allergic reactions such as:
swelling of the mouth or throat and
difficulty in breathing.
When pregnant it is advised to have a discussion with your doctor before taking any medication such as selenium supplements.
What Is Selenium Sulfide 2.25 Shampoo Used For?
What Is Selenium Sulfide
What Are Selenium Supplements Used For?
What Does Selenium Do For You?