What Does Selenium Do For You?
First of all, Selenium is an essential mineral that is a component of an antioxidant enzyme, glutathione that is key in tissue respiration.
This mineral is needed in our bodies in small amounts but just like other vitamins and minerals it also plays a very important role in the proper functioning of the body.
Some foods rich in Selenium include:
Oats are a healthy breakfast cereal and also a very good source of selenium. 100gm oats contain about 34mcg selenium. They are low in cholesterol and saturated fat, which is good for the body
Eggs are a nutritious and a good source of proteins. Well, they are also a source of selenium as one medium egg contains about 13.9 mcg of selenium.
We all love chicken, whether grilled or fried, we just love all chicken dishes, continue loving it as it is also a source of selenium. A serving of 100 gm chicken contains 27.6 mcg of selenium.
They are a rich source of selenium. Add them to desserts or eat them salted, roasted and raw. 100 gm serving provides about 1917 mcg of selenium. Don’t consume them too much as they are very high in calories.
The best vegetarian sources of selenium include Mushrooms, Lima / Pinto Beans, seeds (Sunflower, sesame, and Flax), Broccoli, Cabbage, and spinach.
Okay, let’s go back to the question:
What does Selenium do for you?
If you are new to Selenium Supplementary minerals you probably could be wondering What Does Selenium Do For You?
- Firstly, Selenium is an antioxidant, therefore, it helps to remove free radicals in your body which cause deadly health issues like heart problems, cancer, and premature aging. These free radicals need to be removed so that our bodies can function properly without any difficulties.
- Secondly, Selenium is very important for both male and female health. In males, it enabled sperm locomotion and lack of it can lead to infertility. Low selenium in females can also lead to infertility and miscarriages.
- Thirdly, Selenium is essential for the thyroid gland to function properly after iodine. Lack of selenium in required amounts, excess iodine will damage the thyroid gland.
- Fourthly, It plays a very important role in the immune system to function properly. It helps develop T cells of WBCs. Deficiency of Selenium can make the antibodies not to function properly.
- Lastly, Deficiency of selenium correlates with an increased risk of certain types of cancer e.g. prostate and colon cancer. Don’t get me wrong, selenium doesn’t cure cancer, it only reduces the chances of getting it.
Scientists say that selenium helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. And studies reveal that people with lower blood levels of selenium have higher risks of heart diseases. Some studies also reveal that people with lower blood levels of selenium are more likely to have poorer mental functions.
Selenium is a very important mineral for your body to function properly, lack of it can lead to many health issues. If you think you are not getting enough selenium, talk to your nutritionist and see if selenium supplements are good for you as they are appropriate for people experiencing selenium deficiency.
What is sweet almond oil? Before going through where to buy sweet almond oil, let us see what it is. Sweet almond oil is a plant that produces kernels that are a familiar food. Sweet almond oil...
How Long Does Yeast Infection Last? Frankly speaking, there are influential factors that will determine how long yeast infection will last: The severity of the yeast infection.How you choose...